Steps to migrate all the contact data and email addresses from your MailChimp account into ActiveCampaign.
Log into your MailChimp account
Once you have logged into your MailChimp account, click on the top link named “Lists.”
Export a list or a segment
If you have several lists in MailChimp that you want to export, you will have to follow these steps for each one of them.
MailChimp gives you the option to export contacts grouped as "Lists" or "Segments." Usually, we would advise you to import lists first, and then you can use segments to export additional information.
To export a list:
- From the List menu, click on the List title you are exporting
- In the next screen, click “Export list” located on the top right corner on the contacts panel
- At the next screen, click “Export as CSV”
To export lists from the overall lists page:
- Select the list you wish to export
- Click the dropdown menu next to “Stats” and choose “Exports” option
- On the resulting page, you should see your lists with either a green checkmark or a yellow clock icon. A green checkmark means that your file is ready to export. If it still shows a yellow clock icon, this means that MailChimp is still working to make your file available for export.
- If you see the green checkmark, click “Export as CSV.”
To export a segment:
- From the List menu, click on the List title you want to export.
- At the next screen, click in the ‘Manage Contacts’ dropdown menu and click “Segments”
- Select the segment you want to work with, then click on “Export segment”
- At the next screen click “Export as CSV”
Migrating general information and tags
Once you have downloaded the CSV file from MailChimp, you will need to import the file into your ActiveCampaign account. After you import the file, we will guide you through a process in which you map the columns from your file with the fields you have in your list.
You may have fields that we do not include by default. In that case, you will want to create custom fields before doing the import. For that, go to Lists > Fields > Add Custom Field.
If you need to import your MailChimp groups, you would have to do that separately from your general data migration.
For that, you would need to:
- Log into your MailChimp account
- Go to > Lists > Manage Contacts > Groups > View subscribers > Export segment
- Once you have that, import those contacts into your ActiveCampaign account, select a tag for those contacts, mark the option ‘Update existing contacts’ and click <button name> to complete the import. This setting will add additional information onto the contacts you imported previously
Setting up your MailChimp segments in ActiveCampaign
If you had created segments in your MailChimp account, you will need to recreate them in ActiveCampaign. For that, you would need to:
- Check the configuration in your MailChimp account from Lists > Manage Contacts > Segments. Then click in edit in each one of them. It might be helpful to take a screenshot.
- Once you know what conditions to use to create your segments, you can create your segments in ActiveCampaign. To do so, go to Lists and click on the dropdown for any of your lists. Select “Segments” and click “Add new segment."
Note that we only work with "flexible" (dynamic) segments. This means that as contacts match the conditions you have set in your segment, they will automatically become part of that segment. If you are looking for a similar function as the "static segments" by MailChimp, we recommend tagging your contacts and then creating a segment based on that tag. By adding a tag to your contacts, you are assigning them a piece of “static” information. Then, only contacts who have that tag would be added to your segment.