The subscribe by email feature allows you to collect subscriptions via email. When you enable this option, a unique email address will be created that you can share with potential contacts. When they send an email to that email address, they will be added to your list.
You can also use this feature to allow contacts to unsubscribe themselves from your list when they send an email to a unique email address.
To get started with using this feature:
- Go to the Lists overview page in your account and click the dropdown next to the list you wish to add contacts to.
- Click “Subscribe by Email” from the list of options.
- Click the “Add” button.
- You will be redirected to the “Subscriptions by Email” page. The Email address dropdown field contains two email addresses. One is used to collect subscriptions and the other is to collect unsubscribes. We will default to have the "Subscribe" email address selected:
Each ActiveCampaign account only has one subscribe email address and one unsubscribe email address.
- In the “Used in Lists” box, select the list that will use the subscribe by email address function by clicking it. To select more than one list, hold the CTRL button and click as many lists as you like. Doing so will add contacts to all selected lists at the same time when they send an email to your unique email address.
- In the “Action” dropdown, select “Subscribe” to subscribe contacts or “Unsubscribe” to unsubscribe contacts.
- The “Use Filter” option will allow you to create a keyword that contacts can use when subscribing to your list. We recommend using the filter if you wish to set up the subscribe by email function separately for each list. That way, when a contact subscribes using your keyword, they will be added to the list that corresponds with that keyword.
If you set up the subscribe by email function separately for each list and do not add a filter to any of the subscribe by email options, all contacts who use the subscribe by email feature will be added to the list associated with the subscribe by email option listed at the top of your page.
If you set up the subscribe by email function separately for each list and do not add a filter to the subscribe by email option listed at the top of your page, but DO add filters to the rest of the subscribe by list options, contacts will still be added to the list associated with the subscribe to list option listed at the top of your page.
To add a filter, click the “Use Filter” checkbox. Then, choose to have the filter look for your keyword in either the contact’s subject line or email body:
Then choose from any one of the following operators:
Does not contain
Does not equal
Then type the keyword in the keyword field. In this example, we’re going to choose “Subject line Contains Events” so that when a contact emails us to our unique email address with the keyword of “Events” in the subject line, they will be added to our Events list:
- Click the “Add” button.
Your subscribe to list action will be listed on the “Subscriptions by Email” page:
The email address listed on this page is the email address that contacts will need to send a message to in order to be added to your list. To distribute this email address, copy it and share it on your site, email signature in your personal email client, etc. with instructions on how to use the keyword (if using). When that email address receives an email, it will parse the contact information and create a contact record using the sender’s email address.
This feature does not use a double opt-in process. Once a contact subscribes using this method, they will be added as an active contact right away.