You can update a contact’s name, email address, account, custom field information, list subscription status (Available on Marketing Lite, Plus, Professional, and Enterprise), and more right from their contact profile page.
Access a contact's profile record
To access a contact's profile record:
- Click Contacts on the left menu. This will bring you to the Contacts Overview page.
- Click the contact you wish to edit. This will open their profile record.
From here, you will be able to add and edit information on their record.
Note that it is not possible to add or edit a contact's avatar image.
The "General Details" area contains standard and custom fields for the contact. This includes their name, email address, phone number, account, job title and any custom fields you create.
To add information to a field, or to change information in a field:
- Hover your mouse over the field you wish to update.
- Click the edit (pencil) icon that appears.
- Type the new information into the field.
- Follow steps 1-3 above for each field you wish to update.
- When finished, click the "Save Changes" button.
Note that when updating field values, any changes you make will not "save" as you go. In order to save field updates, you need to click the "Save Changes" button. If there are any errors, such as a required field left blank, we'll display a message letting you know that the changes cannot be saved.
Manage a contact's tags, lists, and automations
Tags, Lists, and Automations are located under Fields on the contact profile record:
Here you can add and remove tags, add a contact to a list or change their list status, as well as add the contact to an automation, view their path in an automation, and stop their progress in an automation.
Tags are a fast easy way to add information to a contact. They are a versatile feature and can be used in many different ways. For example, you can use tags to create segments, trigger automations, adjust a lead score, use them in conditional content, and more.
- Click the "Enter tag" field.
- Type the tag.
- Press either the "Enter," "Tab" or "Comma" key on your keyboard to save it.
For more information on tags, visit these resources:
- What are tags?
- Best practices for using Tags in ActiveCampaign
- How can I use tags to keep my contacts organized?
- How to use tags in your ActiveCampaign account
Available on Marketing Lite, Plus, Professional, and Enterprise
You can add a contact to a new list or update their subscription status.
Note that we don't recommend adding a contact to a list or updating their status to "Active" unless they've given you explicit permission to do so.
- Click the "Add" button.
- A modal window will appear. Click the list you want to add the contact to.
- Click the "OK" button.
- Click the list name.
- A modal window will appear. Click the "Status" dropdown and select a status:
The contact's status will be updated immediately.
In the Automations section, you can add a contact to an automation, view how much of the automation they completed, the number of times they entered an automation, view their path in an automation, and end or stop their progress in an automation.
Once you add a contact to an automation, it will begin immediately. This action cannot be canceled or undone.
- From the contact's profile record, click the "Add" button.
- A modal window will appear. Click the name of the automation that you want to add the contact to.
- Click "Okay."
You can stop the contact from proceeding through an automation. When you do, it will show that they completed 100% of the automation, even if you stopped them before they reached the last step.
Ending an automation for a contact is the same thing as removing them from the automation. This is because when an automation is ended for the contact, they are no longer in it.
- Click the name of the automation you wish to end for the contact.
- A modal window will appear. Click the "End" button.
You can see where a contact is in an automation at anytime.
- Click the name of the automation.
- A modal window will appear. Click the "View" button.
On the next screen, you'll see the automation builder and the contact's path in it. This will show you how they entered the automation and each action they moved through.
If the contact successfully completed an action, there will be a green checkmark.
If a contact skipped an action, there will be red "X".
Hovering your mouse over the checkmark or X will show you when that action was completed or skipped.
To learn more about Automations, visit these resources:
- What are automations in ActiveCampaign?
- How to create a new automation from scratch
- How to use the automation builder
Add or edit a contact task
Available on Sales Plus, Professional, and Enterprise.
Tasks are to-do items for a contact that can be assigned to another account user.
- Go to the bottom of the contact's profile page.
- Click the "Add Contact Task" tab.
The Task Bar will expand. Here you can:
- Type the task into the space provided
- Select the task type by clicking the task type dropdown
- Set a date and time for the task
- Select a duration for the task
- Assign the task by clicking the person icon
- Schedule an alert for the task by clicking the bell icon\
- Automate the task by clicking the automate icon located on the bottom right of the window. You can choose to either add the contact once the task is saved or when the task is marked as completed
To edit a task, click the task under the "Tasks" tab.
The task will expand in the right side menu.
Here you can:
- Assign the task to a different account user
- Update the task title
- Update the task status (complete or incomplete)
- Update the task relation
- Change the contact that the task is associated with
- Change the task type
- Add or edit the task description
- Update the date and time for the task
- Update the duration for the task
- Add or edit the alert for the task
Create a contact note
You can create a quick note about a contact at any time. Once a note is created, it will save to the contact's profile record.
- Click the "Add Note" tab at the bottom of the contact's profile record.
- The 'Add Contact Note' window will expand. Type the note into the space provided.
- Click the "Add" button.
Note that you can add the contact to any active automation by clicking the "automate" icon located on the lower right of the Add Contact Note window.
If you are automating the note, the contact will be added to the selected automation right away.
Send a one-to-one email from the contact record
One-to-one emails, or personal emails, are one-off messages that you can send to your contacts.
Learn how to send a one-to-one email to a contact.