After you create a list, you can begin to import existing contacts from a CSV file using our import tool.
With the importer, you can map columns in your file with fields in your account, create a new field to map a column to, import contact to a list(s), opt to not import contacts to a list, apply a tag(s) to the contacts, import contacts as Active, Unsubscribed, or Excluded, and opt to update existing contacts while you import. The import tool only works with CSV files.
For formatting tips and to learn how to save your spreadsheet as a CSV file, click here.
In In this article, we'll show you how to import contacts from a CSV file.
Before you start, make sure that each contact in your CSV file has a unique email address. If a contact does not have an email address, the importer will skip them. If multiple contacts share the same email address in your file, we'll only import the first instance of that email address.
1. Click "Contacts" located in the left menu.
2. Click the "Import" button.
3. Click the "Import from File" button.
4. A file browser will appear. Navigate to the file you wish to import and click it to select it.
5. Your file will process and you will be redirected to the import screen. Map the columns in your file to fields in your account by clicking the dropdown for each field:
If you don't wish to import data from a column, you can select "Do Not Import this Field" from the list of items in the dropdown:
To create a new field directly from the import page, click "[Add New Field]" and follow the prompts:
6. Select which list you'll be importing contacts into by clicking them. Note that this step is optional.
If the selected lists are used in any automation triggers, contacts will be added to those automations as soon as they are uploaded, if those automations are set to "Active." To learn how to prevent this, click here.
7. Type the tags you wish to apply to all contacts once they're imported. Note that this step is also optional.
As a best practice, you may want to apply a tag that indicates the source of these contacts. That way you can easily find this group if you need to make any bulk edits to them later.
If the tag you are applying are used in any automation triggers, contacts will be added to those automations as soon as they are uploaded, if those automations are set to "Active." To learn how to prevent this, click here.
8. Make sure that "Import As Active Contact" is selected.
The “Update Existing Contacts” setting will look for a matching email address in your account and add any additional contact data from your file into the contact record.
9. Click the "Import Now" button once you're done configuring settings.
The length of time it takes to import contacts will depend on the size of the CSV file. Most files will be imported in less than 10 minutes.