If a contact does not receive an automation email, it’s important to first find out why. Reasons why a contact may not have received your email could be due to any of the following:
- The contact has not yet reached or skipped that send email action in your automation. Click here to learn how to view their automation path.
- The contact may have an unsubscribed, bounced, or unconfirmed status for your list(s).
- The email message was automatically filed to a different folder or tab (if it’s Gmail) in the Contact's inbox after it was sent.
- The email went to SPAM.
- The contact’s email address contained a typo.
- The contact is in your exclusion list.
Diagnosing why an email wasn’t received should always be the first step to take when deciding to resend an email, otherwise the contact may not receive any other emails you send them. If everything looks correct on your end and you still can’t see why a contact did not receive your email, please submit a ticket to our Deliverability team and we can help you resolve the issue.
How to resend an automation email to a contact
The most common way to resend an automation email to a contact is to use a separate automation. This automation will not have a trigger and will only contain a single send email step. The send email step will contain a copy of the original email you wish to resend. Then when you’re ready, you can manually add the contact to the automation and they will be sent the email.
If a contact clicks unsubscribe for this email, they will be unsubscribed from all lists they are currently subscribed to.
In addition, any actions that the contact takes with this email (ie, open, click) may not be reflected in the original automation (Goals, If/Else branches, etc).
To learn how to set this up, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to the Automations overview page.
2. Click the "New Automation" button on the top right of your screen.
3. Click the "Start from Scratch" option then click "Continue."
4. Click the "Start without a trigger" option.
5. Click the "Send email" option.
6. Click the "Create an email" link.
7. Type the name of the email into the field provided then click "Create." This name is internal and will not be visible to your contact.
8. On the templates page, click "Past Campaigns." This will take you to a page that lists all campaigns and automation emails that you've created.
9. Hover your mouse over the email you wish to resend and click "Use this design."
10. A Sender Details pop up will appear. Here you can edit the From name and email address and provide a subject line in the subject line field. Once you've added the subject line, click "Continue."
11. The Campaign Designer will load. Make any necessary modifications and click “Next."
12. Review the campaign summary page. When ready, click "Finish."
13. Type the name of the automation on the top left of the workflow builder.
14. Click "Active" on the top right to make your automation Active.
15. Now that the automation is created and active, we'll need to add the contact to it so we can resend them the email. To do so, click the magnifying glass and type their name or email address in the search bar. Then hit the return button on your keyboard.
16. Click the contact's name to open their profile page.
17. In the "Info" box, locate the section called "Automations" and click the "Add" button.
18. Tick the box next to the automation you wish to add the contact to, then click "OK."
The contact will added to your automation and will be sent the email.