Conversations is available on all plans levels and can be purchased as an add-on to your account.
Conversations lets you have two-way interactions with leads and customers using a chat widget and email. All customer conversations are stored in a unified inbox, allowing you and your team to easily manage communications as well as provide and access context around customer issues, questions, sales wins, interactions and more.
In this article:
Accessing and enabling Conversations
If you are the Primary Admin of your ActiveCampaign account, you can access, enable, and configure the Conversations feature so you can have two-way conversations with your customers.
To get started, click “Conversations” in the left menu.
If you do not see the Conversations option in the left menu, then you will need to contact your Primary Account admin to request access.
Once you’re on the Conversations page, you’ll be able to start a 14-day free trial or purchase seats for the feature now. The number of seats you purchase will determine how much the Conversations feature will cost. This will be in addition to what you currently pay for your account.
Note that only users who have a seat in Conversations will be able to access and use the feature. You can add or remove seats as needed and swap out which members from your team can use a seat.
After opting into the trial or purchasing seats, you’ll be redirected to Step 1 of setting up Conversations.
- Click the “Team” dropdown and select which team will be using the Conversations feature.
- Select if your entire team will be getting access, or if the access is limited to you for now. Note that you are limited to 20 seats in Conversations. If you have more than 20 users in your ActiveCampaign account, the last 20 users added will be granted access.
- Set the Desktop notification toggle to “On” to enable desktop notifications. When set to on, you’ll receive an alert on your desktop every time you receive a new message from a visitor. Note that you’ll need to have the Conversations unified inbox open in your browser to receive this notification. You can turn this setting off at any time.
- Set the Audio notification toggle to “On” to enable audio notifications. When set to on, you’ll hear a sound play when you receive a new message from a site visitor. You can turn this setting off at any time.
- Click the “Next: Chat Appearance” button to proceed with setting up the chat widget.
Setting up the chat widget
In this section, you’ll learn how to configure the chat box appearance. You can set the appearance for the chat widget so that it matches your company’s brand. Doing so will create a seamless experience for your visitors.
Note that it’s not possible to remove ActiveCampaign branding from the chat widget during the trial period. Once you purchase seats, you'll be able to toggle the branding off.
- Type your company’s name or welcome message in the “Headline” field. This will appear at the top of your chat widget when it’s opened by a visitor. For example, you can type "Chat with us" in the headline field.
- Type a short bio for your company in the “Description” field. This will also appear at the top of your chat widget when it’s opened by a visitor. Note that this is optional.
- Paste the URL of where your company logo is stored into the field provided. You will see the image shown in the box to the right so you can verify it looks okay.
- Under “Brand Color,” click the color picker and select the color you would like to use in the chat widget. You can also enter the hex value.
- Under “Chat Position,” select if the chat widget should appear on the left or right of your webpage.
- Click “Auto reply” to proceed to auto-replies and email
Setting up the Welcome Message
The Welcome Message is a proactive greeting that any site visitor can see. It will use the same logo and brand color that you use for web chat. This greeting will appear above the chat widget on every page where your site tracking code is installed.
To get the Welcome Message to appear on your site:
1. Click the "Create a Welcome Message" button
2. Set the "Welcome Message" toggle to the "On" position by clicking the toggle
3. Type a short greeting such as "We're here to help!" into the field provided
4. Click the "Publish" button
About the Chatbot Automation
Each Conversations account comes with a preconfigured Chatbot Automation. This simple workflow helps support real-time messaging by automating first touch-points, collecting data, and qualifying leads before one of your agents takes over. Using the Chatbot Automation ensures a timely, positive customer experience 24/7.
Learn how to use the Conversations Chatbot Automation.
Adding the chat widget to your website
To get the chat widget to display on your website, you’ll need to whitelist your domain(s) and install the chat widget code onto your site.
Whitelist Your Website domain(s)
In this step, you'll need to whitelist all domains and subdomains you want the chat widget to appear on. Adding your domains and subdomains in this step will also enable site tracking.
Note that if you do not whitelist any domains, the chat widget will not appear on your site, even if you install the chat widget code.
To whitelist your URL(s), type your website URL into the text field provided and click the “Add” button. Your domain will appear at the top of the box to indicate that it is whitelisted:
Note that you can whitelist:
All website pages
If you check the "Include all website pages" box, all pages on the URL you supplied will have the Conversations chat widget. This will not include any subdomains; those will need to be whitelisted separately. Using the example above, if you whitelist "mysite.com" and check "Include all website pages" then all pages that include "mysite.com" will have the chat widget on it. If you also have the subdomain, "help.mysite.com" that will not be included. You will need to list that subdomain separately in this step if you want the chat widget to appear on that page.
Only this page
If you do not check the "Include all website pages" box, only the URL you supply in this step will have the chat widget appear on it. Note that you can add as many specific pages as you like.
A wildcard URL uses the * symbol to indicate that "any page in this path" will have the chat widget appear on it. For example, if you whitelist "mysite/about/*" then the chat widget will appear on all pages that start with "mysite.com/about/." You can also use whitelist domains that contain wildcards in the middle of the URL. For example, you would whitelist "mysite.com/*/test.com."
Chat Widget Code
From here, you can:
- Click the “Copy” button to copy the code and paste it to the footer of your site.
- Click “Use WordPress Plugin” to go to the ActiveCampaign plugin page on the Wordpress site. From here you can download and install the plugin. This plugin will let you insert forms, track page visits, and add the Conversations chat widget to your site. Note that if you currently have the ActiveCampaign Wordpress plugin installed, you’ll need to upgrade it to the current version (7.1) from this page in order to add the chat widget to your site.
When finished, click the “Next: Test & Finalize” button.
For single-page applications that do not require page reloading, you'll need to call
window.vgo('update'); whenever your application makes a route change. This additional step will allow the chat widget to load correctly on your whitelisted pages.
Test and launch the Conversations chat widget
On the Test and Finalize page, you’ll be able to preview and test the chat widget on all domains you whitelisted and added the chat widget code to. In addition, you’ll be able to see how incoming messages look in your Conversations Unified Inbox.
To view and test the chat widget on your site, click any of the URLs listed on the Test and Finalize page. Once you’re ready to start taking incoming chats, click the “Launch Conversations” button.
You'll now see the chat widget on your site.