ActiveCampaign's Twilio app lets you send SMS messages to contacts using the "Send SMS Message using Twilio" automation action. You may want to use this action if you wish to send SMS messages to contacts in an automation.
In this article:
- This integration requires a paid Twilio account and access to automations in ActiveCampaign
- Trial accounts with Twilio should only be used for testing purposes. If you're using a Twilio trial account to test this integration, the SMS message will include the following sentence: "Sent from your trial Twilio account"
- You can use more than one Twilio account, subaccount, project, and "From" phone number with this integration
- You can only use one Twilio account, project, and phone number per Twilio automation action
- This automation action sends outbound messages only. For tracking, replies, reporting, and billing, please refer to your Twilio account
- This automation action uses the "From" phone number managed in your Twilio account to send SMS messages
- Messages sent with this automation action have a 1600 character limit. This includes field values for any personalization tags you use in the message. Messages containing more than 1600 characters will not be sent to contacts
- Messages sent with this automation action will be sent to contacts who (1) reach this step in your automation and (2) have a mobile phone number stored in the standard ActiveCampaign phone number field
How the Twilio app works
Once you add the "Send an SMS message using Twilio" action to your automation, a prompt will walk you through the following configuration steps:
- Connect to your Twilio account
- Select a Twilio Project and phone numer
- Type the SMS message you want contacts to receive
As contacts pass through this action in your automation, we'll send them the SMS message you created. This message will come from the Twilio phone number you selected during the integration setup.
Add and configure the "Send SMS Message using Twilio" action in your automation
1. From your automation, click "CX Apps" in the right menu.
2. Click the "Send SMS Message using Twilio" action and drag it to your automation.
3. A "Send SMS Message" modal will open. Type your Twilio Account SID and Auth Token into the fields provided. Then click the "Connect" button.
Learn how to find your Auth Token in Twilio.
4. On the next screen, click the "Project" dropdown and click the Twilio Project you wish to work with.
5. On the same screen, click the "Phone number" dropdown and click the phone number you wish to send SMS messages from. As a reminder, this phone number is managed in your Twilio account.
6. Scroll down the same screen. You'll see an "Enter Message" box. Type the SMS message you wish to send to each contact who reaches this step in your automation.
- Click the "Personalize" dropdown to insert personalization tags into your message. You may want to do this to address a contact by their first name or to remind them of an upcoming appointment
- All SMS messages sent with this automation action has a 1600 character limit. This includes field values for any personalization tags you use in the message
7. Click the "Finish" button.
The "Send SMS Message using Twilio" action will be added to your automation:
In addition, Twilio will appear under "Connected Apps" in your ActiveCampaign account.
As contacts reach this step in your automation, we'll send them your SMS message.
View logs for processed SMS messages
The "View Logs" page in your ActiveCampaign account shows successful and failed attempts at processing an SMS message with the Twilio integration. You can filter these logs by integration, account, and type by clicking the dropdown fields that appear at the top of the page.
To view logs for processed SMS messages sent with the Twilio integration:
1. Click "Apps" in the left menu.
2. Click the "Connected Apps" option.
3. Click the Twilio app.
4. Click the "View Logs" button.
Disconnect your Twilio account from ActiveCampaign
You can disconnect your Twilio account from ActiveCampaign. When your Twilio account is disconnected, we'll no longer send SMS messages to contacts on your behalf.
1. Click "Apps" in the left menu.
2. Click "Connected Apps."
3. Click the "Twilio" app.
4. Click the "Disconnect" button.
5. A confirmation dialog box will appear. Click the "Disconnect" button.
Your Twilio account will be disconnected from ActiveCampaign. A confirmation message will appear at the top of the Twilio app page.