You can create a double opt-in process for your email marketing lists using automation. This solution is ideal for customers who use 3rd party forms or integrations to grow their lists.
In this article:
What is double opt-in?
A double opt-in is a two-step process potential subscribers must complete in order to be added to your list and receive your marketing emails. In this process, subscribers submit a form and are sent a confirmation email. Once they receive the confirmation email, they need to click the confirmation link in order to be added to your list as an active contact and receive your emails.
Who should use a double opt-in automation?
You may want to use the double opt-in automation if:
How the double opt-in automation works
The double opt-in automation featured in this article is just an example to get you started. Note that you can change any trigger or action that best suits your business needs.
With this automation, contacts are pulled into your workflow if:
- A specific tag that you define is added to their profile record AND
- They're not already subscribed to your list
Note that you can use a different trigger if that makes more sense for your business.
Then, the automation will send contacts an opt-in confirmation email. This email must be created by you and needs to contain a link that directs contacts to a confirmation or thank you message on your website or landing page. Note that it's not possible to use the standard confirmation link available with the form builder.
Then the contact moves to a wait step. The contact will wait in this step until they click the confirmation link in the email or will wait in this step for one week, which ever comes first.
If a contact clicks the confirmation link within one week, they will be subscribed to your list and will be sent a welcome email. Again, the content of this email must be created by you. If you prefer not to send a welcome email, you can always remove it from the automation.
If the contact does not click the confirmation link within one week, a tag is added to their profile record and they are not added to your list. The tag that the automation applies in this case is "Didn't Opt-In" but you can change this to be whatever you like.
Here is a preview of what the double opt-in automation looks like:
Import the double opt-in automation into your account
In this section, we'll show you how to import the double opt-in automation using an import link.
- This automation assumes that you are already using a 3rd party form or integration to grow your subscriber list(s)
- This automation is an example to get you started. Once you import it into your account, you can adjust the trigger and actions as needed to fit your business needs
- You will need to select a template and create the content for the double opt-in confirmation and the welcome emails
- The double opt-in confirmation email must contain a link that directs contacts to a confirmation message on your website or landing page
To import the double opt-in automation:
1. Click this automation import link.
2. Log into your ActiveCampaign account and click "Automations" in the left menu to go to the Automations Overview page.
3. Click the "Create an automation" button. The "Create an automation" modal will appear.
4. Click the "Import an automation" button.
5. Paste the automation URL into the field provided, then click the "Import" button.
6. The automation builder will open and display a grayed out preview of the automation. Click the "Get Started" button in the right bar then follow the prompts to complete the setup.