Available on all ActiveCampaign plans.
Use the ActiveCampaign Postmark integration to send transactional emails from your automations. You can build your template in the ActiveCampaign designer or import your HTML template. Personalizations can be included in your templates to empower truly personal transactional emails.
- You need an ActiveCampaign account and an approved Postmark account to use this integration. You can get started on a free plan with Postmark that will allow you to send up to 100 emails for free per month. If you want to send more emails, you need to upgrade to a paid plan. If you don't have a Postmark account, please see the Getting Started With Postmark guide as well as details on how Postmark's approval process works
- The Postmark CX app and integration setup lives in your ActiveCampaign account. This app sends messages through your Postmark account where you can then view the message's activity and events
- Personalization placeholders use a different syntax in CX apps. If you are using personalizations in your templates, please be sure to use the correct syntax for your personalization fields. Only Contact fields are supported
- This app does not support Conditional Content
Configure the Postmark CX App
- Click "Automations" on the left menu.
- Create or edit an automation.
Drag the "Send a transactional email" action to your automation. This is located under "Sending Options."
- A connection screen will appear. Click the “Connect” button.
- Once you're logged into your Postmark account, click the "Proceed" button to continue the connection process.
Click the “Authorize” button to allow ActiveCampaign to use your Postmark account.
If your Postmark account is not yet approved you'll see a reminder letting you know, along with a button to request approval for your Postmark account. Learn how Postmark's Approval process works.
- Once connected, you’ll see a connection confirmation screen. Click “Continue.”
Next, set your settings to use for sending the transactional emails through Postmark, specifically:
Select the Server within your Postmark account you wish to connect the Postmark CX app to.
Select the Message Stream from your Postmark server that you wish to connect the Postmark CX app to. Only your server's Transactional Message Streams will be selectable.
Select a template from within your ActiveCampaign account that you want to use for the transactional email. If you are using personalization you will need to modify the template to support the CX App personalization syntax.
It is not possible to select a template that's within your Postmark server (however, you can take your Postmark template's HTML and import it into ActiveCampaign).
A text field to enter your message's subject line, with the capability of adding personalization tags.
The From address you would like to use for your transactional email. This drop-down will include all verified individual Sender Signature email addresses within your Postmark account. If you need to add a new "From" address for sending, you have two options within your Postmark account:
Authenticate your entire domain
We recommend that you authenticate your overall domain using DKIM within Postmark, as that will greatly increase your deliverability when sending. More here on authenticating a domain using DKIM within Postmark.
Once the domain is verified, you will still need to add an individual Sender Signature email address—that's the email address that will be used as the "From" address when sending emails using the Postmark CX app in ActiveCampaign. Click the “Add Signature” button below your domain within the Sender Signatures tab and add the individual email addresses to use for the "From" address.
Adding an individual email address to a DKIM verified domain will not trigger a verification email. The email address will automatically be verified once added.
Verify a single email address
If you’re not able to authenticate an entire domain using DKIM, you can instead add individual sender signature email addresses. To do so, click on the Sender Signatures tab within your Postmark account, click the “Add Domain or Signature” button, and select the single email address option. A verification link will be sent to the added email address, and once confirmed it will appear in the Postmark CX App as a "From" address in the drop-down menu.
Add a descriptive tag (like “payment-reminder” or “booking-confirmation”) to the message. This can be useful to categorize and view your messages within the Statistics and Activity tabs in your Postmark Message Stream. There is a one-tag limit. Keep your tags below 30 characters (we'll automatically truncate tags that are longer) and don't use spaces (we'll automatically replace those with dashes).
Choose whether to track opens for this message. Open tracking will only take place within Postmark, and not within ActiveCampaign.
Choose whether to track link clicks for this message. Click link tracking will only take place within Postmark, and not within ActiveCampaign.
Click the "Finish" button.
When a Contact reaches this action in your automation, a transactional email will be sent using the options you selected in the Message Settings step.
You can use an existing template or create a new campaign template to use with this integration. Note that the default footer containing the unsubscribe link will appear in the email designer, but will not appear in the send.
To import your existing HTML templates:
- In your ActiveCampaign account, click “Campaigns” on the left menu.
- Click "Campaign Templates" on the left sub-navigation menu. Note that you may need to expand this menu to select "Campaign Templates."
- Click the “Create a Template” button.
- Click the “Custom HTML” option then click “Continue.”
- Paste your HTML content into the editor.
- If you are using personalization, please be sure to update any placeholders in your content to use the correct syntax for this integration.
- Give your template a name by clicking on the “New Template” button and editing the text.
- Click “Save and exit.”
Personalizations in the campaign template content
The syntax for personalizations supported in this CX App is different from the normal personalization fields in ActiveCampaign templates. It is important to use the correct personalization syntax, or the fields will not be substituted properly and may be left blank in your message content.
For campaign templates used in this integration, Standard fields must use “camelCase” rather than full uppercase. The following Standard fields are supported:
- Email: %email%
- First Name: %firstName%
- Last Name: %lastName%
- Phone Number: %phone%
If you use the personalization tag modal to choose the above fields, you will need to manually edit them in your template to use camelCase.
Custom contact fields
Only contact custom fields are supported at this time.
This integration requires the custom field ID in the personalization tag rather than the field name.
For example, I have a Custom Field called “Favorite Color” with an ID of 3. Normally, the personalization tag would be %FAVORITE_COLOR%. However, with this integration, you need to replace the name with the field ID so the personalization tag in the campaign template is actually %3%.
To find the correct ID for your custom fields, you can use the "Personalize" dropdown when setting up the app (see below) or you can make an API call to https://youraccountname.api-us1.com/api/3/fields.
Choose a personalization from the dropdown to see the correct placeholder to add to your templates:
If you are using this trick to find the correct personalization placeholders, please be sure to delete them from the text area afterward.