To help ensure that your 10DLC Campaigns are approved during the manual vetting process conducted by our upstream Connectivity Partner, please follow these best practices when submitting new Campaigns.
If you plan to subscribe contacts from within the United States, make sure you have completed 10DLC registration by August 14, 2023 to avoid any lapse in SMS sending. You can register after this date, but you will not be able to send SMS to US users until the 3rd party approves the 10DLC registration.
This article refers to SMS messaging.
Please do not consider the recommendations and best practices listed below as a “catch-all” and guarantee of approval as long as you follow them all. Instead, please consider them as a baseline that illustrates the general direction of compliant, high-quality messaging the ecosystem is moving towards.
Learn more about A2P 10DLC registration.
Brand best practices
- Don’t know your business type?
- Sole Proprietorship - Owned and operated by a single person
- Corporation - A type of fully-independent business with shareholders
- LLC -A mixture of a partnership and a corporation
- Partnership - A business owned by two or more people who share responsibilities and profits
- Co-operative - A business owned and operated for the benefit of the members of the organization that use its services
- Non-profit - A type of business that uses its profits for charitable purposes. Tax-exempt, but must follow specific rules
It is important that the information you enter for your legal name and tax ID number exactly match the information displayed on your official IRS-issued documentation, such as your SS-4 confirmation letter or your Letter 147C (the record of how your entity is filed with the IRS).
Be precise and exact with your Business Name / Legal Company Name
Don’t forget to include the LLC or Inc. if applicable
Example: Company Inc. vs. Company Holdings Inc. vs Company Holdings are all different
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Tax ID is required for registration.
- The following will not be accepted by The Campaign Registry
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- ‘Doing Business As’ (DBA) ID
When entering your EIN or Tax ID, don’t include the dash.
If your entity name looks like this on your SS-4 confirmation letter,
Business Name: ACME INC
*The IRS may display business name, and/or owner name, and/or organization name, or other unexpected combinations of information in their records. It is a common naming convention for LLCs to include both the owner name and the business name.
Business Name: ACME LLC THERESA LOPEZ-FITZGERALD SOLE MBR
- The way you format your phone number is important for approval
- Be sure to include the appropriate country code
- For U.S., that is ‘1’
- For others, if unknown, check here
- Be sure to include the appropriate country code
Campaign best practices
Providing your opt-in method details
It is critical that you make sure you collect consent appropriately. Please refer to the CTIA guidelines for detailed instructions and best practices on handling consumer consent.
During your campaign use-case submission, providing as detailed information as possible is important to obtain a successful registration.
- This field should describe how and when a consumer opt-in to the campaign, therefore giving consent to the sender to receive their messages
- The call-to-action must be explicitly clear and inform end users of the campaign. If multiple opt-in methods exist, please list them all
Opt-in method field
- Make sure opt-in is collected appropriately
- Make sure opt-in language is available on your website if you indicated that a contact opts into your campaign on your company website
Opt-in language: "By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from ACME. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.”
- [Optimal experience] Users select a checkbox confirming they would like to receive SMS
Example message flow:
- The customer opts in to receive SMS via a web form. They select a checkbox granting permission to receive SMS messages from ABC company. The above opt-in message is displayed
- Opt-in language: "By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from ACME. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.”
- It is recommended to include opt-out language in at least one of your sample messages
If the opt-in website form is accessible, please provide the direct URL where contacts opt-in to receive your SMS marketing messages
- If your opt-in form isn't publicly accessible (like behind a login wall), make sure to include a screenshot URL of your form that includes SMS opt-in language
In general, we suggest sharing a screenshot showing the opt-in form with the opt-in language
- Please upload via a screen-sharing app like Cloudapp and add the URL for the screenshot in the message flow section
- Below is an example of an approved opt-in method:
Consent from a paper form or on a private site that requires a login
- If you indicate that opt-in is collected through a paper form or behind a login, please include all the opt-in details along with screenshot(s) in the message flow section
- Generally, we suggest sharing a screenshot showing the opt-in form with the opt-in language. If providing a screenshot, please upload it via a screen-sharing app like Zight and add the URL for the screenshot in the message flow section
Campaign use-case description
Describe how you will use SMS. The description should be thorough and explain the campaign’s objective or purpose.
- Sample messages should reflect actual messages to be sent under the campaign and indicate templated fields with brackets
- Ensure that at least one sample message includes your business name
- Include opt-out language to at least 1 sample message
- Ensure consistency with the use case and campaign description