Applies to Plus, Professional, and Enterprise accounts only. Accounts on the Lite plan do not include SMS sending.
SMS (Short Message Service) are text-only messages that are sent to your contacts’ mobile devices. SMS messages can only be sent out via an automation action to contacts who have shared their mobile phone number with you. You should only send SMS messages to contacts that have given you permission to do so. In this article, you’ll learn how to create an SMS message to send to your contacts.
For information regarding where to locate replies to your SMS messages, please visit this help document.
Before we start
All mobile phone numbers collected for your contacts outside of the United States must use an international format. That format will use a “+” symbol and country code, followed by the full phone number.
Phone numbers for contacts located within the United States do not need to be in an international format, however, you will need to include the full phone number including area code. For example, you would format the phone number to be 123 456 7890.
In addition, mobile phone numbers must be stored in the default ActiveCampaign phone field. If you store the mobile phone number in a custom field you created, then we will not be able to deliver that SMS message. For more quick tips to ensure successful SMS delivery, please refer to this help document.
Adding SMS messages to your automation
- Click on “Automations” from the top navigation menu
- Select the automation you want to add your SMS message to by clicking on “Edit”
- Click on the node (+) in your automation to add your “Send SMS” step
- Select “Contact” for your recipient
- Enter the text you want your SMS message to display
- Select the days you want your SMS message to send. NOTE: If a contact reaches this Send SMS step outside of the days you selected, the SMS message will not send and they will proceed to the next step in your automation
- Select the time range of when you want your SMS message to send. NOTE: If a contact reaches this SMS step outside of the time range you selected, the SMS message will not send and they will proceed to the next step in your automation
- Click “Save”