The Automatic Import feature is available on all plan levels.
The automatic import feature adds and updates contacts in your account on a recurring basis without manual intervention. This is handy if you're managing contacts in other apps, such as ecommerce solutions or project management apps, and want to import them into your ActiveCampaign account without having to upload a CSV file.
In this document, we'll cover:
How the automatic import works
The automatic import tool works by first fetching contacts that match your criteria, then will routinely check for new or updated contacts every 30 minutes.
This tool will also create fields and corresponding personalization tags for you based on the name of the external service. For example, if you are using Google Contacts, the Manage Fields page will display the field created in Google Contacts along with its personalization tag:
The automatic import will not:
- Send instant autoresponders for new contacts added
- Send webhooks when contacts are added or updated
- Update a contact to “Active” status if they are currently unsubscribed
- Allow you to manually map fields
- Send list-specific subscription notifications (notifications set up on the Lists > Advanced Settings)
Setting up an automatic import
1. From the Contacts overview page, click "Import."
- Select an external service to import contacts from by clicking on it.
- A modal window will pop up. Follow the prompts for each screen to complete set up.
- Once complete, a number will appear showing you how many automatic imports are set up for that specific external service.
While there is no limit to the number of automatic imports you can create, it's best practice to set up no more than 1-2 imports for each service. This will help you cut down on confusion and will help you keep your account organized.
Edit or delete your automatic import
To edit or delete your automatic import at any time, click on the automatic import from the Import page and click "Edit" or "Delete."
Troubleshooting automatic imports
Contacts not being added to your account from an external service is one of the more common issues that can arise when using the automatic import tool. Below are some of the most common reasons why and what you can do to resolve the issue:
- You reached your contact limit. Once you reach your contact limit, the automatic importer will stop adding contacts to your account. You can upgrade your account to allow for more contacts and avoid a disruption of service.
- Not all of your contacts had an email address or a valid email address. In order for contacts to be added to your account, they must have an email address and it must be valid.
- You're trying to add several hundred contacts (or more) at once. All automatic imports are limited to 500 contacts per sync. If you're adding more than that, you will need to give it some time before all of your contacts will appear. The system will check for new and updated contacts every 30 minutes. This issue will also arise if you are running multiple importers for the same external account. If you need to add all of your contacts right away, use a CSV file to import your contacts instead.