Magento is an open source e-commerce solution used by millions of customers. You can use the official ActiveCampaign extension to sync Magento customers with ActiveCampaign or you can use Zapier to select from multiple triggers and actions to create your integration. For example, you can use Zapier to trigger a Zap when Magento gets a new order and then create/update a contact in ActiveCampaign, or you can trigger a Zap when a new deal is added or updated in ActiveCampaign and then create and invoice in Magento.
In this article, we will cover:
- How to set up the Zapier integration
- How to install the official ActiveCampaign Magento extension
- Paid Zapier account
- Magento account
- ActiveCampaign account
- Click here to view different Zap options for adding contacts to ActiveCampaign
- Select your Zap trigger and action by clicking them from the Zapbook page and click “Continue” to create your Zap. In this example, we are using the “New Customer” Magento trigger.
- Enter your Magento details in the modal pop-up to connect your Magento Account. Then click “Yes, Continue” to complete the setup for your trigger.
- Follow the steps in Zapier for setting up your ActiveCampaign action. You will be asked to add your ActiveCampaign API URL and Key. Then follow the rest of the steps for setting up your ActiveCampaign action.
- As a last step, you’ll need to name your Zap and toggle it to turn it on. You will be asked to submit payment to Zapier if you do not have a paid account.
For more details regarding this setup, please see Zapier’s Magento integration support document.
Back to top.
How to install the official ActiveCampaign Magento extension
Note: this integration method is compatible with the following Magento versions only:
1.7, 1.8, 1.8.1, 1.9, 1.9.1, 1.9.2
The extension has not been converted to work with Magento 2 or higher.
To get started, you will need the following:
- Magento account
- ActiveCampaign account
- Go to the extension marketplace and click “Install Now” to install the ActiveCampaign extension.
- Click “Get Extension Key” and click the “I agree to the extension license agreement” button.
- Copy the Key URL located in the Magento Connect 2.0 box.
- In your Magento admin section, go to System > Magento Connect > Magento Manager.
- Paste the Key URL into the “Paste extension key to install” field and click “Install.”
- Under “Extension dependencies” it will preview the extension you are about to install. Click “Proceed.”
- Toward the bottom of the page, you will see a console running through the install process. A successful installation will look like this:
- Scroll to the top of the page and click “Return to Admin.”
- When you return to the Magento admin section, you will see a menu option for ActiveCampaign:
- Hover your mouse over the ActiveCampaign tab and click “Settings.”
- Upon loading the ActiveCampaign section for the first time, the settings will be disabled until you put in your ActiveCampaign details.
- Click that row (where it says “Disabled”) and enter your ActiveCampaign API details.
- Click “Save and Continue Edit” located on the top right of your screen.
- Next, click “Lists” from the left side menu to choose which lists you want your new customer registrations added to. You can choose one or several lists.
- Optional - click the Forms tab on the left to choose which form you want to associate new subscribers with. You can choose this to control what opt-in settings are used. If you do not choose a form, it will automatically add new Magento customers as “Active” in ActiveCampaign, meaning they will not go through a double opt-in process. If you choose a form, and you want new Magento customers to opt-in first, make sure your ActiveCampaign form has the double opt-in enabled.
- Click “Save Connection” on the upper-right. This will bring you back to the main page.
Exporting Magento Subscribers into ActiveCampaign
The ActiveCampaign extension makes it easy for you to export (sync) current customers in Magento with your ActiveCampaign account. If a contact already exists in ActiveCampaign, they will be updated into the lists you have supplied for the Magento extension and no other subscriptions will be affected. This operation will not export contacts into a file that you will then upload into ActiveCampaign–it's an automatic sync.
To get started:
- Click the ActiveCampaign tab in your Magento admin and click “Settings.”
- Click the “Enabled” row.
- Click “Export Magento Subscribers” and click the “Confirm” box.
- Click “Save Connection.”
- Go to the Magento Connect Manager.
- Locate ActiveCampaign_Subscriptions and click the dropdown to select “Uninstall.” Then click “Commit Changes.”
- A log window at the bottom of the screen will show a confirmation if the extension is successfully uninstalled:
Please note that these steps will only remove the extension folder from the file system (and menu option from the admin UI). You may want to remove the database table dedicated to this extension by running these MySQL commands against your Magento database:
delete from core_resource where code = 'subscriptions_setup' limit 1;drop table subscriptions;
(We’d make this part automated, but it doesn’t appear to be possible to run uninstall SQL commands for Magento extensions.)
To uninstall the extension manually (or if it doesn’t appear in the Magento Connect Manager), delete the following files and folders from the Magento application folder:
Then run the same SQL commands from above.