The List Cleanup tool helps you delete contacts from your list(s) that you no longer need.
For example, you can use the List Cleanup tool to:
- Delete all contacts with a particular status from all lists.
- Delete all contacts with an "Active" status from selected lists.
- Delete all contacts with an "Unsubscribed" status from selected lists.
- Delete all contacts with an "Unconfirmed" status from selected lists.
- Delete all contacts with a "Bounced" status from selected lists.
- Delete all contacts with any status from selected lists.
- Delete specific email addresses (contacts) from selected lists.
If a contact appears on multiple lists, we'll only remove their association from the list(s) you selected and they will remain in your account.
If a contact only appears on the list(s) you selected, they will be deleted from the system entirely. They cannot be restored.
List cleanup actions are permanent and cannot be undone. We recommend exporting all contacts before using any action on this page.
Use the List Cleanup tool
1. Export contacts from your account.
2. Click "Contacts" located in the left-side menu.
3. Click "List Cleanup."
The List Cleanup page will load:
Delete Contacts by Status
The "Delete Contacts by Status" option lets you delete contacts with a particular status before a specified date. For example, you can delete contacts with the following statuses for any list, multiple lists, or all lists:
The "Before this Date" field will look for contacts who received the status you selected by that specific date for your list. For example, if you wish to delete contacts who bounced before August 1, 2018 for your list, you would select August 1, 2018 in the "Before this Date" field.
To delete contacts by status:
1. Click the "List" drop-down and click the list you wish to remove contacts from. To select more than one list in this step, press the shift key on your keyboard and click the additional lists in the drop-down.
2. Click the "Status" drop-down and click the status. You can only select one status in this step.
3. Click the "Before this date" field and click a date on the calendar.
4. Click the "Delete From List" button and confirm your action in the modal pop-up.
Delete Specific Contacts
The "Delete Specific Contacts" option lets you delete specific email addresses from the list(s) you selected. You can use this option if you have a certain contacts you wish to delete from a list(s), instead of deleting all contacts with a particular status from a list.
To delete specific contacts:
1. Type each email address you wish to delete in the "Bulk Deletion" box. Use a comma to separate multiple email addresses.
2. Click the "Select a list" drop-down and click the list(s) you wish to delete contacts from.
3. Click the "Delete From List" button and confirm your action.
Edit contacts in bulk
Use the Bulk Edit tool to edit multiple contacts at once. For example, you can use this tool to add or remove tags, subscribe and unsubscribe contacts from lists, add contacts to automations or end an automation, or update their contact field information.
Remove unengaged contacts from your account
Use the Engagement Management tool to delete contacts who have not engaged with your campaigns or automation emails over a period of time.
Add and remove contacts from your Exclusion List
An Exclusion List is a list of email addresses that are prevented from receiving campaigns and automation emails from you. You can add and remove full or partial email addresses from this list.