Automations Map is available on all plan levels.
The Automations Map is an easy way to see how your automations are connected through "Start an automation" and "End other automation" actions. Simply click an automation from the Map page and we'll show you how it's connected to other automations and provide you with high-level statistics. With the Automations Map, not only can you see how your automations are connected at-a-glance, but it also promotes the best practice of creating connected mini-automations that tackle your unique business needs.
This article will cover the following:
Before we begin, let's review some terminology:
- "Starts an automation" action: This action is located under "Conditions and Workflow" in the automation workflow builder. When a contact encounters this action in an automation, they will enter any automation you specify.
- "End other automation" action: This action is located under "Conditions and Workflow" in the automation workflow builder. When a contact encounters this action in an automation, they will stop running through the automation you specify. If they are not in the other automation, they will proceed through this step.
Features of the Automations Map
The Automations Map includes:
- Map page that provides a visual overview of all automations in your account (see note below)
- Filtering options that let you filter automations by actions, triggers, status, label, last edited, highest activity, oldest created, newest created, alpha A-Z, and alpha Z-A
- Map links that visually indicate all automations that a particular automation is connected to
- "Automation Details" shelf that provides high-level statistics of the selected automation, including connections, contacts, campaigns, and goals
Note: If you have less than 100 automations, all of them will be listed on the Automations Map page.
If you have more than 100 automations, only connected automations will be displayed. This means that only automations that are connected to other automations through "Start an automation" and "End other automation" actions will be shown.
How to find the Automations Map
There are two ways to locate the Automations Map:
1. Hover your mouse over the orange "Connected Automations" button in the Automations overview.
2. Click the "Automations Map" button to see the automation in map view.
Option 2: From the Automations overview page
1. Click "Automations."
2. Click "Automations Map."
How to filter the Automations Map
The Automations Map provides several filtering options. These are the same options located in the Automations Overview page.
- Automation actions: Blocks or steps in an automation that a contact can encounter to perform specific actions. Read more about automation actions here
- Automation triggers: Different ways a contact can enter an automation. Read more about automation triggers here
- Automations status: Active ("On") or Inactive ("Off")
- Any labels you've created: Labels are used to organize automations. Read more about labels here
- Last edited: Automations you most recently edited, in order of most recent to least recent
- Highest activity: Automations that have had the most contact activity, sorted from most to least activity
- Oldest created: Automations sorted by oldest to newest created
- Newest created: Automations sorted by newest to oldest created
- Alpha A-Z: Alpha sort of named automations, A-Z
- Alpha Z-A: Alpha sort of named automations, Z-A
How to see connected automations with the Automations Map
When viewing the Automatons Map page, you'll see that it displays all automations in your account; this includes both Active and Inactive automations.
Reminder: If you have more than 100 automations, then the Map will only display connected automations.
- Active means that the automation is currently running and contacts can be added to it. They are indicated on the Map page by a green dot.
- Inactive means that the automation is not running and contacts cannot enter it. They appear greyed out on the Map page and will have a red dot.
To see how one automation is connected to another automation(s), click an automation from the Automations Map page.
In this example, we'll click on the automation called "Demo 1":
The Map will then display the selected automation as well as the automations it's connected to via the "Start an automation" and/or "End other automation" actions.
In addition, the "Automation Details" shelf will appear on the righthand side. This shelf will display a high-level overview of the statistics for the selected automation. These are the same statistics that appear on the Automations overview page.
Note: If you click an automation with no connections, it will only show the selected automation and its "Automation Details" shelf.
You will also see the following in this example:
- Green map links: Indicate that the selected automation is connected to another automation via the "Start an automation" action.
- Red map links: Indicate that the selected automation is connected to another automation via the "End other automation" action.
Let's take a closer look at the notated example below:
In this diagram, we selected Automation A ("Demo 1").
To the left of selected Automation A, is Automation B ("My Second Automation").
- Since Automation B is to the left our selected automation, it indicates that Automation B has a "Start an automation" action in it, directing contacts to Automation A.
To the right of selected Automation A is Automation C ("Movies") and Automation D ("Demo 2").
- Automation C is connected by a green map link. This indicates that Automation A includes a "Starts an automation" action in it, for Automation C.
- However, you can also see that Automation C is currently Inactive; it is greyed out, and has a small red dot to indicate the status.
- Automation D is to the right of our selected automation and is connected with a red map link. This indicates that Automation A has an "End an automation" action in it, for Automation D.
To reset the Map at anytime, either click the "Reset Map" button, or click the empty space outside of the displayed automations on the Map page:
"Automations Details" shelf explained
When an automation on the Map page is clicked, the "Automation Details" shelf will appear on the righthand side:
This will provide an overview of the selected automation. You can click any of the options on the shelf to expand them.
The shelf includes the following sections:
- Access to the workflow builder for the selected automation
To access the workflow builder for the selected automation, click the automation name. We'll also display the status (Active or Inactive) for the selected automation.
This shows which automations the selected automation is connected to through either a "Start an automation" (indicated with a green "Starts") or "End other automation" (indicated with a red "Ends") action. These are the same automations that would appear to the right of the selected automation on the Map.
The status of the connected automation(s) will also be indicated.
Clicking the name of an automation in this section will open the connected automation.
Note: This section will not display which automations are feeding into the selected automation (eg, any automation that appears to the left of the selected automation on the Map.)
This shows the number of contacts that are currently in your automation.
Clicking the "Contacts currently in the automation" link will direct you to a list of those contacts.
This will list all campaigns contained in the selected automation, as well as their open rates.
Clicking the name of the campaign will redirect you to its report located in the "Reports" section of your account.
This will list all goals contained in the selected automation, as well as their completion rates.
Clicking the name of the goal will redirect you to its report located in the "Reports" section of your account.
The stats that appear in the Automation Details shelf are the same stats found on the Automations overview page.