Available on Professional and Enterprise plans.
Your contacts are unique. Some contacts prefer descriptive content while others want to get straight to the point. With predictive content, we use machine learning and data science to send the right content to the right contact. All you need to do is provide up to five variations of a single email and we'll take care of the rest.
In this article:
Here are some things to know before you get started:
- This product is currently a public beta for all Professional and Enterprise level customers
- Predictive content can be used in standard campaigns and automation emails only. It cannot be used with RSS, auto-responder, split test, or date-based campaign types
- Predictive content can only be used with the drag-and-drop email designer. It is not available to use with custom html coded emails or the text-only designer
- You can only use one Predictive Content block per email
- Only English is supported in the first version of predictive content
How predictive content works
Predictive content is available as a text content block in the drag-and-drop Campaign Designer. Once you drag the Predictive Content block into your email, you'll be prompted to create up to five variations of content, using different tones, verbiage, and length. We'll then send the email and display the variant that each contact is most likely to engage with. This means that Contact A will see one version of your email, while Contact B will see another. To properly use predictive content, you'll need to provide at least two variations of text.
How does ActiveCampaign know which variant to display?
We analyze all emails that our customers send. We also analyze how their contacts engage with those emails. This is based on link and call-to-action clicks. Using this pool of data, we're able to determine which variant of your email should display for each of your contacts.
Because each of your contacts have their own preferences, we recommend using different tones, words, and lengths for your variations along with a call to action. This will help us learn more about what your contacts are likely to click on.
How to use predictive content in your emails
1. From the Campaign Designer of your email, click the "Predictive Content" block and drag it to your email.
2. Click the text that says "Click here to add text" for Variant 1.
3. Type the first version of your content into the space provided. Note that you can use styling for your text and insert personalization tags. When you're done writing your first variant, click the "Add a Variant" button to add a second variant of your content.
4. Use the "Add a Variant" button to provide up to five versions of your content. You can always remove a variant by clicking the "X" listed next to the variant's name.
And that's it! You can continue to modify the email using the other content blocks provided. When finished, click "Save & Exit" to close the campaign for now or click "Next" to view the Campaign Summary page.
When the email is sent, we'll display the variant that each contact will most likely interact with.
Predictive content FAQs
How does predictive content work with new subscribers?
In cases where subscribers are new or never seen, we will assign them a random variant to collect information about those subscribers and better predict what kind of email they will click on in the future.
Is predictive content available for image blocks?
No, predictive content is not available for image blocks at this time.
Can I add an image to the Predictive Content block?
No, it is not possible to drag an image file into the Predictive Content block.
What other languages are supported in predictive content?
Only the English language is supported at this time. If you use a mix of English and another language, predictive content will not function properly.
Can I see which variant a contact will receive before the email is sent?
It is not possible to see which variant a contact will receive before the email is sent. However, we will provide reporting for this feature in the future.
Can I use personalization tags in the Predictive Content block?
Yes, absolutely! We encourage you to do so.
How do I test the different variants?
You can send a test email to yourself or anyone of your colleagues using the "Send a Test Email" function on the Campaign Summary page. This will send you (or whoever is testing) all versions of your email.
What sort of reporting is available with the Predictive Content block?
Reporting on variants with the Beta is not available. This is because we're working to bring the best structure to users and prioritize what they want to see. If you have any reporting needs with the Predictive Content block, please submit them to the ActiveCampaign Ideas forum.