There are two methods you can use that will help you avoid triggering automations when importing contacts:
1. Make your automations inactive while you import contacts
Making an automation temporarily "Inactive" allows you to add contacts to your account without triggering that automation. This action will also pause any contacts that are currently in your automation.
Once the import is complete, you can set your automation back to "Active."
2. Use a segment as part of your start trigger to exclude contacts from entering
With this alternative option, you will not need to make your automation "Inactive." This may be handy if you do not want to temporarily pause your automation or if you want other contacts who are not listed in your import file to continue be added to your automation.
1. Add a Tag column to your CSV file and apply a value to that column for all contacts, such as "Import."
Do not import your file yet.
2. From your automation, click the trigger to open it.
3. Click the "Advanced" option and create a segment that is "Tag Does not Exist Import." Make sure the tag listed in your trigger segment exactly matches the tag in your CSV file.
4. Then click “Save Start.”
5. Now you are ready to import your CSV file. Make sure to map the tag column in your file with the Tags Field:
6. Follow the rest of the steps to import your file. You can learn more about importing a CSV file here.
Once you are done importing, contacts will be added to your account but will not be added to your automation.