The Tag Manager makes it easy to view and manage every tag in your account. With the Tag Manager, you can see which automations are using a specific tag, and how many contacts have that tag applied to them. In addition, the Tag Manager allows you to bulk add tags, edit tags, merge tags, and delete tags from your account.
How to access the Tag Manager
To open the Tag Manager:
- Navigate to the Contacts overview page.
- Click “Manage Tags” to display the Tag Manager.
The left-hand column allows you to bulk add tags by pasting them into the text field and clicking “Add Tag.”
The right-hand column displays a list of all your tags. It shows:
- Name of the tag
- Description (if you've added one)
- Number of contacts that have that tag
- Automations that are currently using that tag
How to modify automations using a tag
Before editing, merging, or deleting a tag from your account, we recommend manually updating any automations that currently use the old tag to reflect your new one. Any changes made to a tag in the Tag Manager will not be reflected in your automations.
To do so:
- From the Tag Manager, click the number that appears under the “Automations” column:
This will display a modal window with a list of automations:
- Click the name of an automation to open it.
- Find the action that is using the tag and then modify it so it no longer references the tag.
How to edit a tag
When you edit a tag in the tag manager, that change will be reflected for all contacts that currently have that tag. The change will also be reflected in the floating segment builder. However, this change will not be reflected in any link actions or automations that use that tag. We recommend updating any link actions and automation actions that reference this tag first, then following the steps below to edit your tag.
To modify the tag's name or add a description:
- From the Tag Manager, click “Edit.”
- Type the new name in the name field and type in the description in the description field (optional).
- Click “Save” when finished:
How to delete a tag from your account
When you delete a tag from the tag manager, that tag will be removed from all contacts and it will no longer be available in the floating segment builder. However, this tag will not be removed from your automations or link actions. All automations and link actions using this tag will need to be updated manually. We recommend modifying your automations and link actions first, then follow the steps below to delete your tag.
To delete a tag:
- From the Tag Manager, click the down caret next to “Edit” and click “Delete.”
- A modal window will appear. Choose to either remove this tag from all contacts who have it, or move all contacts to a different tag. If choosing to move all contacts to a different tag, click into the tag field and select the new tag by clicking it.
- Click “Delete Tag.”
- The system will begin the process of removing the tags from contacts and the Tag manager. Click “Close.”
How to merge tags
If you have duplicate tags (multiple tags that serve the same purpose) you might want to merge them. The “Merge” feature makes this quick and easy. Tags selected for the merge will be removed from contacts as well as the Tag Manager; the tag selected in the “Merge into tag” field will remain in the Tag Manager and will be applied to contacts with the old tag(s). All automations and link actions using the old tag(s) will need to be updated manually to reflect your new, preferred tag. We recommend modifying your automations and link actions that reference this tag first, then following these steps to merge your tags.
To merge tags:
- Select the tags that are redundant and click the “Merge” button:
- Click the field that appears under “Merge into tag” to display a dropdown of tags that you can merge your selected tags into:
- Click the name of the tag you want to keep.
- Click “Merge Selected Tags.”