You can tag contacts when they click a link in your direct or automated campaign. This is useful for tracking engagement and identifying interests. For example, you can tag a contact when they click a link to watch a video, or you can tag them when they click a link that brings them to a product page on your website. You can then use this information to send targeted emails based on their interests.
Note that you need to enable link tracking to tag a contact when they link a link in your campaign.
How to tag contacts with Link Actions
This method can only be used with the drag-and-drop email designer. This feature is unavailable for emails created using the "Text Only" or "Custom HTML" options. If your email uses either of these options, you'll need to use an automation to tag contacts that click your link.
To get started:
- Open your direct or automated campaign.
- Either create a link by highlighting the text and then clicking the link icon in the navigation bar or select the link in your email by clicking it.
- On the right panel, underneath the URL, click "Add Link Action."
- The Add an Action modal will pop up. Select your preferred action from the action dropdown list by clicking it.
- Define a value for that action. For example, if you tag contacts when they click your link, you will need to either search, choose, or create the tag in the link action.
- When finished, click "Save."
How to add tags with Automation Actions
This method can be used with the drag-and-drop email designer and emails created using the "Text Only" or "Custom HTML" options.
To get started:
- Navigate to the Automations overview page.
- Click "New Automation" located on the top right.
- Select "Start from Scratch" then click "Continue."
- Select the "Clicks a link in an email" automation trigger. Then, click "Continue."
- Click "Campaign" or "1:1 email" depending on what type of email the link is located.
- Select the email containing your link from the "Select email" dropdown by clicking it.
- Select the link you wish to trigger this automation from the "Select link" dropdown by clicking it.
- Choose if this automation should run once or multiple times
- Click "Add Start."
- The Automation Action modal will automatically appear. Click "Contacts" then "Add tag."
- Type the tag you wish to add to contacts when they encounter this step and click "Save."
- Click "Active" on the top right to turn the automation on.