You can tag contacts when they click a link in your campaign or automation email. This is useful for tracking engagement and identifying interests. For example, you can tag a contact when they click a link to watch a video or you can tag them when they click a link that brings them to a product page on your website. You can then use this information to send targeted emails based on their interests.
In this article, we'll cover:
Note that this feature requires link tracking to be enabled in order to properly tag a contact when they click a link.
This method can only be used with the drag and drop email designer. This feature is not available for emails created using the Build From Scratch > Custom HTML option. If your email uses the Custom HTML option, you’ll need to use an automation to tag contacts that click your link. (See the automation actions section below.)
To get started:
- Open your campaign or automation email. If this is a campaign, navigate to the design step.
- Locate the link you wish to modify with a link action and click it.
- A modal toolbar will appear. Click the link icon.
4. Click “Add an Action.”
5. Select “Add Tags” by clicking it.
6. Type the tag into the tag field.
7. Click “OK.”
This method can be used with both the drag and drop email designer as well as emails created using the Build From Scratch > Custom HTML option.
To get started:
- Navigate to the Automations overview page.
- Click “New Automation” located on the top right of your screen.
- Select “Start from Scratch” then click “Continue.”
4. Select the “Clicks a link in an email” automation trigger. Then, click “Continue.”
5. Select the email containing your link from the “Select email” dropdown by clicking it.
6. Select the link you wish to trigger this automation with from the “Select link” dropdown by clicking it.
7. If you want to further segment contacts entering your automation, click the box next to Segment the contacts entering this automation and select your segment conditions. This step is optional.
8. Click Add Start.
9. The Automation Action modal will automatically appear.Click Contacts.
10. Click Add tag.
11. Type the tag you wish to add to contacts when they encounter this step and click Save.