After you create a list, you can begin to import existing contacts from a CSV file using our import tool.
With the import tool, you can map columns in your file with fields in your account, create new custom contact fields to map a column to, import contacts to a list(s), apply a tag(s) to the contacts, import contacts as Active, Unsubscribed, or Excluded, and choose to update existing contacts while you import.
In this article, we'll show you how to import contacts from a CSV file.
- The import tool only works with CSV files
If your contacts are stored in a spreadsheet, make sure to save the spreadsheet as a CSV file prior to import. CSV files must also be formatted correctly. To learn more, visit "How to prepare your CSV file for importing contacts."
- Each contact in your file must have an email address
If multiple contacts share the same email address, we'll import the first instance in your file and skip over the rest of the contacts who share that same email address.
- Contacts may be added to "Active" automations upon import
Contacts will be added to automations set to "Active" if (1) the list you are adding them to is used in an automation trigger, (2) if you're tagging contacts during the import process and those tags are used in automation triggers, or (3) if you're importing values to a field and that field is used in an automation trigger. Learn how to prevent this.
- It is not possible to assign an account owner during the contact import process
If your CSV file contains an "Accounts" column, we'll assign all accounts in your file to the default account owner. To learn more, visit How to assign ownership of accounts.
Import contacts from a CSV file
1. Click "Contacts" located on the left menu.
2. Click the "Import" button.
3. Click the "Import from File" button.
4. A file browser will appear. Navigate to the file you wish to import and click it to select it.
5. Your file will process and you will be redirected to the import screen. Map the columns in your file to fields in your account by clicking the dropdown for each field.
- If you don't wish to import data from a column, select "Do Not Import this Field"
- To create a new field directly from the import page, click "[Add New Field]" and follow the prompts
6. Optional: Click each list that you want to add contacts to.
7. Optional: Type the tags you wish to apply to all contacts once they're imported.
As a best practice, you may want to apply a tag that indicates the source of these contacts. That way you can easily find this group if you need to make any bulk edits to them later.
8. Click the "Import Options" dropdown and click the "Import As Active Contact" option.
9. Optional: Click the “Update Existing Contacts” box. This will look for a matching email address in your account and add any additional contact data from your file into the contact record.
10. Click the "Import Now" button once you're done configuring settings.
The length of time it takes to import contacts will depend on the size of the CSV file.
When finished, you can view your import results.