Site Tracking connects your marketing and sales process to your website activity by tracking webpage visits made by contacts in "real-time."
Watch a video about Site Tracking
Note that this video features ActiveCampaign's previous navigation. We are working hard to update this. In the meantime, to get to site tracking Click "Website" > "Site Tracking." Also, instructions are written out below and you can learn more about navigating your ActiveCampaign account.
How to set up Site Tracking
Before you start, make sure to review the "Overview of Site Tracking" help article to understand how Site Tracking works and how contacts are identified.
- Click "Website" > "Site Tracking" on the left menu.
- Under Site Tracking, click the "Enable" toggle to set it to the "On" position.
- Type or paste your website URL into the "Add Website URL" field, excluding the “http://" protocol. In addition, you are not required to include the "www" portion of the URL to whitelist a domain.
- The "Include all website pages" option is selected by default. This means that each page on your domain will be whitelisted.
If you want to whitelist a single page or subdomain instead of all website pages with your URL, type the specific URL of that page into the "Add Website URL" field. Next, uncheck the "Include all website pages" box.
- Click the "Add" button.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for each domain and subdomain you wish to use with Site Tracking.
We'll then display your domain in the "Website URL" section of the tracking page and the "Site Tracking" box will be checked by default. This checked box means that we'll track visits made to your whitelisted URL once you install the site tracking code on your site.
You will also see that the "Conversations" box is checked by default. This means that if you're using the Conversations feature, the Conversations chat widget will appear on pages that have site tracking code installed. You can always uncheck this box if you're not using that feature.
Conversations is no longer available for purchase to new customers as of January 3, 2023.
How to install Site Tracking code
- In your ActiveCampaign account, click Settings > Tracking.
- Click the code in the "Tracking Code" box.
- Copy the code and paste it to the footer of each page on your website you wish to track.
We recommend placing the code in the footer because this is the easiest way of having site tracking work on all pages. However, we recommend reviewing the documentation provided by your Content Management System (CMS) to make sure the placement of the code is correct.
If you are using a WordPress site, please see our WordPress plugin article for more information on using Site Tracking with WordPress.