The Abandoned Cart feature is available on the following plans:
When a customer abandons their cart in your ecommerce store, you can encourage them to complete their purchase with an abandoned cart automation. Once added to this automation, they will receive customized email that contains information about the product(s) they left behind with a button that takes them back to their cart.
Create an automation with the "Abandons Cart" trigger
These action options are:
- Any connected store or a specific connected store
- Contains any product or a specific product
- Contains items from any product category or a specific product category
- Has any cart value or a specific cart value
1. Click "Automations" from the left side navigation.
To learn how to create an automation with the "Abandons Cart" trigger, follow these steps:
2. Click "New automation."
3. Click "Start from Scratch" then click "Continue."
4. The trigger modal will open. Click "Abandons Cart" then click "Continue."
5. The "Abandons Cart" trigger will open and you will see four (4) configuration options. All options will default to "Any."
The first configuration option is called "Integration" and will ask which Shopify or WooCommerce store you want to use in this trigger. To select a specific store, click the "Integration" dropdown then click the name of the store.
6. The next configuration option is called "Select Product." Here you can choose any product, product name contains, or product name matches:
If you are using "Product name contains" or "Product name matches," you will need to type the product name into the field provided:
7. The next configuration option is called "Select Category." Here you can choose any, category name contains, or category name matches:
If you are using "Category name contains" or "Category name matches," you will need to type the product name into the field provided:
8. The next configuration option is called "Cart Value." Here you can choose from any, value equals, value is more than, or value is less than:
If you are using "Value equals," "Value is more than," or "Value is less than," you will need to type a numerical value into the field provided:
You do not need to add a currency sign in this field.
10. If you wish to limit which contacts enter this automation further, you can create a segment under "Advanced." Click the checkbox then use the segment builder to add your conditions.
11. Click "Add Start."
From here, you can create a customized email that reminds contacts of the items the abandoned in their cart (see next section). You can also use any other actions available to you in the automation builder that makes sense for your workflow.
The "Abandons Cart" trigger consists of four (4) abandoned cart action options; when a contact matches all options for an abandoned cart, they will be pulled into your automation. These action options default to the value of "Any" but can be configured to listen for something more specific.
Create an abandoned cart email
This email uses a special "Abandons Cart" content block in the email designer. This content block is only available when creating emails within an automation that uses the "Abandons Cart" trigger. It is not possible to use this content block in campaigns created in the Campaigns section in your account.
In addition, you can only use one (1) "Abandons Cart" content block per email.
Once you have configured the "Abandons Cart" trigger for your automation, you can now create and customize an email with abandoned cart information that will go out to contacts who enter your automation.
To get started, follow these steps:
1. From your automation, locate where you would like to add your abandoned cart email and click the node:
2. The "Add new action" modal will appear. Click "Send Email."
3. Click "Create an email."
4. Type the name of the email into the field provided and click "Create."
5. The Templates menu will open. Hover your mouse over the template you would like to work with, then click "Use this design."
6. Type the subject line into the subject line field and click the "Continue" button.
7. Locate where you would like to add the abandoned cart information. Click the "Abandoned Cart" content block on the right side of the email designer, and drag it to the desired spot in your email.
Once you add the "Abandoned Cart" content block to your email, the "Abandoned Cart Builder" will open. Here you can customize which information to show regarding the abandoned item(s) and limit the number of abandoned cart products to show in your email.
Abandoned Cart Builder: Customize tab
The first tab in the "Abandoned Cart Builder" is the Customize tab.
Here you can choose the layout of the product fields by clicking any of the dropdowns available, then clicking a different property to show:
The four text fields all have the same options for display:
You have the option to make any of the properties listed on the Customize tab visible or hidden.
To make a property hidden for an abandoned product, click the eye icon:
The hidden property for the abandoned product will be greyed out:
To make it visible again, click the hidden item.
Abandoned Cart Builder: Preview tab
The Preview tab in the Abandoned Cart Builder will display the layout you configured in the customize tab. This will give you a general idea of how the abandoned items will appear in your email:
Abandoned Cart Builder: Settings tab
The settings tab in the Abandoned Cart Builder will allow you to customize the following in your abandoned cart email:
- Sort the order in which products in the abandoned cart will appear
- Display all products in the contact's abandoned cart
- Display up to a certain number of products in the contact's abandoned cart
The "Sort Products" dropdown will default to sort products by "Price: High to Low." However, you can use any of these sorting options instead:
- Recently added
- Price: Low to High
To change the sorting option, click the "Sort Products" dropdown and click the option you would like to use:
The Products Displayed section will default to have "Limit to 3 abandoned products" selected. However you can change this number by typing a new number into the field provided:
Note: If a number higher than 99 is entered into the "Limit to" field, that value will be set to 99.
If you wish to show all products instead, click "All abandoned products."
When you've finished configuring options in the Abandoned Cart Builder, click "OK."
The Abandoned Cart content block is now configured in your email:
The abandoned cart product(s) values (product image, name, price, description) will be inserted into the email automatically when it is sent to the contact.
Once you're done configuring this email, click "Next" on the top right of your screen.
Then click "Finish."
From here, you can add more actions to your automation and make it active by clicking the "Active" button:
Contacts who receive this email will see customized information about the specific products they abandoned.
Note: Information contained in the Abandoned Cart content block will only appear for contacts who have abandoned cart data at the time they encounter this send email step in your automation.
Adjust the amount of time the trigger should wait before pulling contacts into your automation
You can adjust the amount of time the "Abandons Cart" trigger will wait before it pulls contacts into your automation.
Click the links below to learn how to set the amount of time the trigger will wait to pull contacts into your automation for Shopify and WooCommerce.
In order to set this up, you'll need to make sure that you've configured the Shopify Deep Data integration.
Not sure how? Click here for a step-by-step walkthrough then follow the steps below.
1. Click "Settings" on the lower left of your screen.
2. Click "Integrations."
3. Click "Connected" next to the Shopify or WooCommerce integration you wish to work with:
4. Click "Manage."
The amount of time the trigger waits defaults to 1 hour (recommended). To change this click the dropdown and select a different option.
Then click "Save."
In order to set this up, make sure you've taken the following steps to set up the Deep Data integration with WooCommerce:
- Connect your ActiveCampaign account to your WooCommerce account
- Install and configure the ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce Wordpress plugin.
Not sure how? Click here for a step-by-step walkthrough then follow the steps below
To set this up for the WooCommerce Deep Data integration:
1. Log into your WordPress account.
2. Go to the ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce plugin. (If you haven't installed this plugin yet, click here for a how to article.)
3. Click the "Store Settings" tab and select how long ActiveCampaign should wait before triggering automations that use the "Abandons cart" trigger by clicking one of the options.