Trouble with your automation? Want to make sure your automations will work for your contacts? No problem. Listed below are common scenarios, our recommendations to troubleshoot the situation, and instructions to test your automations.
Why isn't my automation working?
Below are three of the main issues customers face with their automations. Click each link below to read our recommendations.
Here are the most common reasons why contacts were not added to your automation:
- Think back to when you created this automation. Was it before or after an existing contact met the trigger conditions? Timing means everything as triggers are not retroactive.
- Automation triggers are not retroactive (it does not apply to Date-based triggers), meaning, if the automation was activated after the contact met your trigger conditions, they will not be added to your automation. You will need to use the bulk editor to manually add them.
- Make sure your automation is set to active. Contacts cannot be added to it until it is. To make sure your automation is active, select “Active” from the top right corner of your automation
- Examine your start triggers to make sure they’re set up correctly. You can visit Why weren't contacts added to my automation to learn more
- If you're using a page visit as your start trigger, make sure the URL in your trigger matches both the page visit and the whitelisted domain. For more info on using web pages as triggers, visit How to send an email when a web page is visited
- If you're using a third party form with the “Submits Form” trigger, contacts will not get added. Use a “Subscribes to list” trigger instead
Here are the most common reasons why an email was not sent to a contact in your automation:
- The contact could be Unsubscribed, Bounced, or have an Unconfirmed status for your list. When this happens, the contact will skip over the "Send Email" action. To learn more about Contact Statuses, visit Contact Statuses Explained
- The email may not have landed in the contact's inbox. Instead, the email have gone to the contact's Promotions or Social tab (Gmail), or to the contact's Spam folder
- The contact moved through the automation before you added the "Send Email" action. Actions added above the contact's position in an automation are not retroactive
- View your contact’s automation path to see how they entered your automation, why they weren’t sent an email, and more. To learn about viewing contacts in an automation, visit How do I see a contact in an automation?
- Examine the conditions in your “If/Else” statement to see if the contact met your conditions. Remember, if you are using an “Or” condition then it’s only looking for one of the conditions to be true. If you’re using an “And” then it’s looking for all conditions to be true
- Examine the conditions in your “If/Else” statement to see if the contact met your conditions. Remember, if you are using an “Or” condition then it’s only looking for one of the conditions to be true. If you’re using an “And” then it’s looking for all conditions to be true.
For more troubleshooting tips on the "If/Else" statement in your automation, visit:
How to test your automation
To make sure that your automation works for your intended contacts, you can first test the automation function by creating a test contact. You can then send the test contact through the automation to check for any problems.
To test your automation with a test contact, follow these steps:
- Click on "Contacts."
- Click on the "Add a contact" button.
- Complete the new contact record form with the test contact info. For this test contact, make sure that you use contact methods, like an email address or phone number, that you have access to.
4. In the contact record, click on the "+Add" button.
5. Add your test contact to your automation and follow the automation steps to assess the functionality. You can learn how to skip the wait steps for the test contact by visiting How do I skip wait steps when testing an automation?
If you still have more questions about your automation and why it is not triggering to run, reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help you.